Broomhill and Sharrow Vale is an electoral ward in the City of Sheffield, and includes the districts of Broomhill, Broomhall, Crookesmoor, Endcliffe, Sharrow Vale and Tapton Hill. The ward was created in 2015 as a result of a local government boundary review, and is comprised of parts of the old Broomhill, Central, and Nether Edge wards.
As of 2011, the population of the Broomhill ward was 16,966 people in 5708 households, over an area of 2.7km2. Broomhill and Sharrow Vale is one of the wards included in the Sheffield Central Parliamentary Constituency.
The enclosure of commons of Ecclesall Bierlow, between 1778 and 1789, resulted in the closure of the Rookesmoor Racecourse, and the area eventually became what is now Broomhill. Broomhill also includes parts of Nether Hallam’s common land, which was enclosed in 1791.
At the time, there were a few houses already in this area, some of which encroached on the common land. There were a few cottages and an inn (called the Ball in the Tree) east of the present site of the Botanical Gardens. The area takes the name of Broomhill from the house of William Newbould, which was named such because it was the first house above Broomhall, and was situated on a hill.
South west of Broomhill and north of Hunter’s Bar is Endcliffe, a wealthy residential area that includes the Birkdale (private) School and part of the Endcliffe Student Village. There are new flats in the area, as well as older halls of residence, but all of them are owned by the University of Sheffield.
Of note in the area is the 36-room mansion, Endcliffe Hall, which was built in the 1860s by the steel magnate John Brown.
Sharrow Vale lies in the southwest of Sheffield, between Porter Brook and Ecclesall Road. The remains of the old (18th century) toll gate can still be seen at the junction of Ecclesall Road, Brocco Bank, Sharrow Vale Road and Junction Road. Hunter’s Bar stands there now, where the toll house once was. To the east you’ll find the Sheffield General Cemetery, and the Sheffield Botanical Gardens are a little north of the area. More green areas run along the Porter Brook and out past the urban limits.